Channel 12 news

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Why I can't be lazy

Brendan is content to sit in his wheelchair all day long. It is a fight when I even take him out for some floor play. He loves his chair and how can you blame him?! It is his independence. He can wheel around the entire first floor and do whatever he wants to do. The past two days I got a big reality check.

It all started because I decided to take him for a walk every day. Meaning get his lazy butt into his walker and walk down the street and back. It sounds simple but it is a LOT of work for this kid. He needs to build some muscles and I have been too lazy with him allowing him not to walk. It has been hard caring for a newborn but Drew is almost a year (ALREADY!)and it is time I learn how to do it all with all 4 kids. His PASS worker just had a baby so she is out for the summer. I am on my own with 4 kids and I have to be productive or we will all be sitting in the house all day. It won't be easy with a baby and a disabled child but I am determined to have a great summer.

My husband joined me on these walks and decided Brendan should transfer into his wheelchair from his walker all on his own and you know what? He did it! It took him a while. I actually had tears in my eyes watching him. This is huge. Self transfer is HUGE! Tonight we had him transfer into his walker from his chair and he did it and pretty damn quickly for his first time. Transferring and walking took over 30 minutes and then he was still able to get into his wheelchair on his own and in less than 2 minutes!

So I realized quickly that if I am not lazy who knows how far this child can go! He can do it. He is getting older and he is gaining muscle mass in those arms. He tells us when he is scared and we talk him through it. I am beyond proud and kicking myself in the a** a little for not pushing him more over the last year. Being pregnant didn't help since I was pretty useless but I am back to myself and ready to get this kid motivated!

10 comments:

Amy said...

I love the new photo. Brendan looks so happy. Don't beat yourself up. You were kind of busy this past year. Give yourself a break. I only have Emma, and I find it so hard to help her with all she needs all the time. I feel guilty too. Of course, she is not strong enough to transfer herself like Bren does. Which, by the way, really is HUGE!!!! I am so proud to hear this news. It is so hard to know how far to push our kids. It is such a challenge to balance out how much is too much versus what is not enough. Our kids just keep amazing us though, don't they??

GO BRENDAN! WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Unknown said...

hello I am a young woman with cerebral palsy myself and I blog about life with it at http://lifeofthedifferentlyabled.com

Unknown said...

Well Done Brendan keep up the good work :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brittanylyna said...

Brendan is super strong!!!! Hello! My name is Brittany Garrett. I just recently read your blog about your son with cerebral palsy! It was such a touching story! One of my very close friend's son also is experiencing this! We found her this wonderful lawyer to handle her case! I wanted to know if anyone has approached you about talking to a lawyer about your children? We could possible have a case and win, without you having to pay any fees upfront! Please email me at brittany.garrett4@gmail.com if you would like more information! I can talk to our lawyers as soon as today! Thank you for your time and have a wonderful and blessed day! You guys are very inspiring!

Brittany

Unknown said...

Great Blog! Followed. I am a mom who has cerebral palsy myself and this is fantastic! Many blessing to your family!

We take it day by day said...

I haven't been on in so long! I have been SO busy lately with school starting and 3 children having extra activities. LIFE IS CRAZY! But Brendan is doing amazing and I must update and post some new pictures.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I came across your blog! I am 24 and have CP as well! I will definitely be reading your blog and checking on your son Brendan :) He's very cute and determined! Love the photos! I also started a blog as well about my journey, maybe we could collab or promote each other to create more awareness? My blog is http://www.christinasdoublewhammy.weebly.com/

Unknown said...

I am so happy I read your blog. You truly inspire me. I got a lot of questions to you. Me also have a son who has the same illness like your son. As I read your blog, my eyes get teary. I know how hurtful as a parent seeing our child suffering from that disease. Yet, we can't do anything just to accept it and let them know from time to time that they are normal like an ordinary kid and they are love. I always tell to myself, someday this will be cure and he will live harmoniously. By the way, Do you know the power of of stem cell in Cerebral palsy? Cerebral Palsy Stem Cell Therapy Prices are affordable unlike other treatment. I am losing hope. I will still believe in Him.

God Bless your family Breandan. I am so proud of you.