It was Thanksgiving day back in 2002. I was only 23 years old and my life forever changed on that day. I had a placental abruption and Brendan was born at 33 weeks. He lost oxygen during delivery due to incompetent care but was a fighter and turned 13 this year. My journey in life over the past 13 years took many turns I was not expecting but I try to stay strong and have my husband by my side even when I am not.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Happy 10th Birthday Brendan!
Wow how can it be that 10 years have gone by?! It feels like time has flown by but then when I really think about everything we have been through over the past 10 years it feels as though it should be much longer. I have started to lose count of surgeries and become much less stressed about upcoming botox injections. I can say I have become used to our life and I can't imagine it any other way. I would love to take away all the pain and struggles you have but I know that isn't possible so I just try and make your life the best it can be!
What have we been through over the past 10 years..let me revisit all the 'lovely' memories
* Born on Thanksgiving Day at 33 weeks and weighed a whopping 5 lbs 5 oz!
* You were born blue and had to be rescusitated, however I was never told this..I read this in your records.
* Only spent 11 days in the PICU! We had no idea cerebral palsy would be our future.
* Crankiest baby alive for the next few years...we found out why little by little
* Started EI therapy at 6 months old found out you had brain damage at 11 months old
* I don't remember exactly when but we found out you had a vision problem (CVI), cerebral palsy, and a hole in your heart (ASD)all within months of each other and I nearly lost it. It was a LOT to take in for a young first time mother.
* You wore a helmet for your flat head when you were one years old
* We went to a sleep clinic and had a 24 EKG done to determine why you NEVER slept!
* We found out you did NOT have seizures which was awesome and mom just needed to let you cry it out! Who knew?!
* You had two surgeries at two years old for undescended testicles (the joy of being born early)
* You started yearly botox injections at 3 years old
* You had major right hip surgery (osteotomy) at 5 years old
* You had right eye (strabismus) surgery at 5 years old
* You had your ASD closure at 7 years old
* You had right hip hardware removed at 7 years old
* You had tendon and tissue releases at 8 years old
We have been surgery free for ALMOST TWO YEARS...which was my goal after three surgeries way too close to each other.
I remember counting how many therapies and appointments you had during your first year of life and it was over 300! I did them all myself and worked part time. I am not sure how I did it on top of never getting any sleep. We made it through your first year and then two and then three and somehow we made it through TEN YEARS!
I have no idea what the next ten years will hold. I am sure there will be more surgeries. I am sure there will be more heartache because I am already aware of two horrific things that are wrong with your body. I can't even think or write about them right now. I tear up instantly and it is your birthday so I am going to be HAPPY!
I think life will get easier as the years go on. Surgeries will not be so frequent. Therapies won't go on forever, at least I don't think they will. One day it will be up to you to get your butt there! HAHA Maybe you will even live on your own one day and get married. If not we have built a house that you can grow old in. We may need to build a handicap kitchen if that is the case but until then I will continue to enjoy my amazing family. I love my life and my children make me extremely happy. My husband is by my side every day and helps me get through the difficult days.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRENDAN!! Still can not believe you are TEN!