Channel 12 news

Friday, June 24, 2016

Off to Texas!

We are leaving for Texas for two weeks of intense therapy this Sunday. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. I am flying on my own with Brendan and Lily. My mom came with us last time and helped but this time I am on my own! Brendan is a great traveler and he will be fine but Lily is just 1 1/2 years old and I have no idea how she will handle a 4 hour plane ride. Not to mention I will have a wheelchair and stroller to get through the airport with. I shipped out his luggage so I wouldn't have to worry about that!

It will be one long day but worth it! I am so excited to see what he will gain after two weeks of this therapy. Mike Poole is amazing and gets results that no one else can. He has a unique gift that allows him to work with any personality and get them to work through their fears and achieve success. He breaks down their insecurities and once they realize they can do the task they gain confidence and self pride. It is amazing. You leave being able to work with your child at home better than ever before. Brendan actually enjoys working out with me. I have seen his legs grow muscle mass in the last 6 months more than in his entire life. He can walk on the treadmill on his own. He can pedal his accessible bike for almost 1 mile completely on his own. He can pedal up hills. He can get in and out of the driveway on his own. He can walk 500 feet in his walker without stopping. He has gained so much in the last 6 months. It is unbelieveable.

Life hasn't slowed down in the least bit! Having 5 kids in this day and age is not easy. I am non stop all day long. I hardly have a moment to myself. I hardly have a minute of silence unless I am sleeping. I often feel guilty not working with him more but I can only do so much. It helps that he is progressing and gaining strength. We have to do what fits into our lives and be at peace with that. Maybe it was selfish having so many children but I see how amazing our family bond is and how his siblings have shaped him into the person he is.

I will try and update in Texas but you can check his facebook page which is much easier to update daily. www.facebook.com/brendansSDRjourney2015

I can't even focus writing at this moment because Brendan hasn't stopped talking to me!


1 comment:

Sheila said...

Good luck, Steph! I'm sure you will do great on your own and Brendan will rock this!