Channel 12 news

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

We have had a breakthrough! Playing on is Own!!


Brendan still has accidents on occasion. He doesn't get in trouble for having an accident since he can't exactly run to the bathroom. He does get in trouble for not telling us because we don't want him sitting in it. This has been going on for over a year now possibly longer. Two weeks ago I said to my husband "he just isn't getting it, we are doing something wrong because he just doesn't get it, we have to figure something else out". We have taken away his t.v. for two days, his power wheels, the computer.... basically everything he loves for not telling us, hoping this will make him tell us. Two weeks ago he had an accident and Derek took away his t.v. yet again. We both had long talks with him about why we took it away and we kept reiterating that he wasn't in trouble for having an accident but for not telling us. We had him practice telling us "I had an accident" over and over and over. Derek actually felt bad after our discussion of him just not getting it and gave him back his t.v. the next morning.
Fast forward to yesterday morning....Derek went to say goodbye in the morning before work and walked into his room and immediately Brendan said "I had an accident" WOO HOO!! This was a moment. When Derek told me I was beyond proud. I really thought he would never get it but he finally did! I went down to say good morning and he told me that he had told Derek. He was so proud of himself and had a big grin on his face wtih his t.v. on. :)

Moments like this can't be completely understood by parents with typical children. These moments are huge milestones for our children. I am so proud of him and all of his hard work. He continues to progress every single day. Lately he is maturing and becoming this amazing young boy. I get teary eyed writing about it. I love that I get to feel this way as a parent. Life is hard for him and it is hard for me to watch at times because everything is a struggle but moments like these make me realize he will be okay growing up in this world. Baby steps people baby steps. :) I told my mom and she was laughing at the situation and said "it is always the little things". Yes it is mom, yes it is.

Brendan as usual continues to amaze me. He has actually been playing by himself in his room on his floor for an hour at a time. He is back into his tools and geo trax. Hint: geo trax train is great for our kiddos with limited hand control. He has been banging away on his train table (fixing it) with his hammer and has a blast!! His room is a mess and it is actually from him not his sisters. he has train pieces everywhere, tools and his laptop on the floor. He is pretend playing and that is wonderful for both of us. What an amazing year this has been.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I cried when I read this because I totally understand, and I can feel your joy in these acheivements. Yes, baby steps:) This just made me smile because I have been battling some moments lately, asking myself, "When will this or that happen?" This pleased me. I needed that. Go Brendan. I might have to look into the Geo Trax train thing. Emma would probably like that too.

Sheila said...

Oh, I'm so happy for all of you! I totally understand "baby steps"! This gives me great hope for Malayna. She is not potty trained at all yet and I keep saying "she just doesn't get it" so this gives me hope that just maybe someday she really will and it will happen! And I totally love it when Malayna plays be herself for awhile, which isn't very often. But I, too, see signs of maturity in her and it makes me so happy. I'm checking out Geotrax too. Malayna isn't a girly girl and would probably love something like that - so thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

April said...

Slow and steady wins the race :)