Channel 12 news

Monday, March 5, 2012

Chores!

My husband and I have wrote out a chore list. The kids are 9,7 and 4 and we think it is about time they start helping out a little in this house. It is alot for one person (ME!) to clean up after 5 people day in and day out. They are simple things but they seem excited about it.
How much would you pay your children for chores? I was thinking $2 per week per child. We do not have alot of extra money and that adds up fast each month. We are also thinking of putting Makayla in dance and Chloe in gymnastics so that will eat into our budget as is. We are also thinking of maybe a point system instead. They would earn enough points to buy something special or go on a special outing. Brendan might be more motivated to do chores for a go cart ride vs. getting money.
* Brendan will feed the dog each night and help set the table (with his PASS worker)
* Makayla has to feed the dog each morning and clear the table before dinner. She also has to wipe down the bathroom counters once a week.
* Chloe has to sweep the floors and dust twice a week. She is also supposed to wipe down the counter tops in the kitchen but I am having a hard time finding kid friendly cleaners.
The girls also have to make their beds each morning.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The kids are being great helpers with my pregnancy. They understand I can't do a whole lot right now. They are willing to do more so I can rest. I love them!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, I like that your kids can do chores. That rocks. I wish Emma could do something without help because I think it would be good for her. I might be able to let her wipe the kitchen table off or something like that.

We take it day by day said...

Amy,
He can't do the chores on his own. He needs help doing everything. He took 30 minutes to set the table last night due to distractions. All he had to do was bring over two placemats, 4 forks and his cup and that is how long it took. BUT it is good for him and we will keep trying. He loves feeding the dog but can't get the bag open or reach to scoop it out but maybe I should come up with a better system so he can do it more on his own. I am sure he would be so excited if he could do it without any help. hmmmmm

April said...

I like that your motivating them to help around the house. I'm terribly lazy when it comes to helping my Mam with the housework!