Channel 12 news

Friday, January 23, 2009

Decision has been made

We have decided to go ahead with the surgery. He does need to be a candidate but I really have no doubt that he will be since he was when he was 3. I am filling out all the necessary paperwork and sending a video of Brendan to Dr. Park out in St. Louis and then we go from there.
Brendan is having another round of Botox injections on Feb. 12th. They will be injected into his hamstrings and right below his knees. I am also going to ask for a small amount to be injected into his right arm because the last time he had that really helped him gain mobility in that arm which he has maintained! :)
He will most likely be casted (right hip to ankle) after this round of botox to help his right knee contracture. He has to wear knee immobilizers at night now (on both legs) because his knees are becoming very tight and stiff. He also has to wear a pillow (strapped to his legs) that goes in between his legs to keep them apart while he sleeps. I have no idea how he can sleep like that but the kid just does! He is amazing....
So I have a lot on my mind and this surgery is really weighing heavy. I just have to hope for the best and maybe one year from now I will be posting that Brendan has taken his first independant step at the age of 7. Now wouldn't that be the best blog ever?!?!

1 comment:

April said...

This really has been a long journey for you guys, hasn't it? Long and hard- but so worth it.