Channel 12 news

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

SDR

So Brendan's father and I are trying to decide if SDR (Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy) is the right choice for Brendan. His father is all for it while I am nervous about it. It is not something you can take lightly. It is major surgery. Spinal surgery! I don't even know how I have gotten through all of Brendan's surgeries so far but I have so I know I can do it. :)

I need to for him. I know he will want to walk unassisted one day. I know he will want to look 'normal' and be like all the other boys. I know he won't want to rely on me every day (even if he loves it right now) so I need to do this for him. I know that but it doesn't make it any easier. I wish he could just say " Mom I want this" but he can't. Not yet anyway. How do you put your child through all that pain when they can't really understand why?

So that is my dilema right now. Life can be challenging that is for sure.

1 comment:

April said...

To truly appreciate how far someone has come you must look back. I'm filling myself in on his story up until SDR :)